Whitewright is a town in Fannin and Grayson counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 1,604 at the 2010 census, down from 1,740 at the 2000 census according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The town was named after investor William Whitewright in 1878, as the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad was fast approaching. In the 1880s the town had all essential businesses as well as a private school, Grayson College, and a public school. Whitewright enjoyed continued success as a supply center and shipping point for farmers. The city is served by the Whitewright Independent School District and is home to the Whitewright High School Tigers.